A Swiss roll cake is a chocolaty dessert, the perfect treat for chocolate lovers. Here, I will tell you a Swiss roll recipe to satisfy your sweet cravings. This Swiss chocolate roll cake is quite fast and easy to prepare. Must try this recipe once and you will love it!
Before we move to the steps, let me tell you the ingredients and equipment you will use.
For Sponge Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 5 eggs (room temperature)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil or unsalted butter (melted)
- ½ cup cooking chocolate chopped or 5-6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups whipping cream
Make sure you have the following equipment before you start making Swiss roll cake:
- Bowls/Heatproof Bowl
- 16 x 11-inch Baking Pan
- Baking Oven
- Electric Mixer
- Double Boiler
- Measuring Spoons/Cups
- Butter paper or Parchment paper
Steps to make Swiss Roll Cake
Prepare Sponge Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with the rack in the center of the oven.
- In a bowl, place sifter and add all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder, salt, sift together, and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs, sugar & beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- During mixing, add vanilla essence and beat again.
- Next, add oil or melted butter and mix until well incorporated. Gradually add dry ingredients and gently fold with the help of the spatula.
- Grease 16 x 11-inch baking pan with oil or butter, place butter paper, and again grease it with oil or butter.
- Now pour the prepared batter into the greased baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take a butter paper and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the butter paper it was baked with.
- Roll the butter paper inside while the cake is still hot, it will prevent the cake from cracks. Let it cool completely.
- Add whipping cream in a bowl & beat with an electric mixer until fluffy and set aside.
- In a double boiler, add water and heat it. Place a heat-proof bowl on a double boiler, add cooking chocolate in a bowl and mix well until smooth & set aside.
- Mix the whipping cream in the melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the prepared chocolate filling evenly over the cake.
- Roll the cake back and refrigerate it for 35-45 minutes before serving.
(You can decorate the Swiss roll cake with chocolate sprinkles, whipping cream, or chocolate chips if you want).
Your tasty and fluffy Swiss roll cake is ready now. Cut it into slices and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe of Chocolate Sponge Cake